Saturday, July 19, 2014

4 Steps to Have it All

1- Dream It

The old adage if you can dream it you can do it is true! Here is where I reveal my love of white boards. I have not 1, not 2, but three in my kitchen alone. So if you like me need a white board in front of you make a bucket list of dreams. I've mentioned this before but one of my big dreams is to rent a cabin on the coast in Maine and write for a summer. Trust me it's on my dream list. But I have other ones too like having a sustainable farm, and creating a place people like to get away too. Most of my dreams are centered around my family and friends creating experiences. So first things first pic up a pen or in my case dry erase marker and write them down. Mirrors also allow the use of dry erase markers! 

2- Research and Developement 

Figure out how far off your dreams really are! They could be right around the corner and if you didn't ask you'd never run into it. If your dream is to learn a foreign language my town has business lunches during the week where groups get together to study a language. It would only cost you lunch once a week. If your dream is to make your own cheeses there are websites or books you can read to figure out how to start your own production of cheese. Cheesemaking for Beginners


3- Make a Plan

This can be as detailed as I found the towns close together that have wineries and I'm going next weekend. Or as complicated as I am giving up my full time job here to teach English in Thailand for 3 years. Teaching English
I know someone who went through this program! That type of a life change might take more strategy.
Life is a many splendid thing and should love and breathe as you dream and grow. This part is crucial because you want your plan to be as detailed as you need to so the steps are manageable. What other obligations do you have? Are there financial obligations you have? Are there skills you lack? Make sure you also ask how can I overcome those deficits? I loved to travel so I worked 2-3 jobs. The sacrifice was worth it for me because I could go on a trip every 3-4 months. Money to travel was worth my exchange of time. Don't be afraid to barter for things too. If you know someone who has a camper trailer you want to take to the Gran  Tetons who also needs their roof redone maybe that's a good use of a weekend to trade. While I nannied I had a hair dresser who would barter child care hours. It was a perfect exchange of services. 

4- Execute Dream

This is the fun part. Take the first step! Go ahead, Do it! Make the call, sign up, or make your reservation. Your life is calling.


No comments:

Post a Comment